News 12 Varsity will post updated Section 1 boys basketball playoff standings throughout the final days as we march towards the postseason. Below is the latest installment.
Section 1 Basketball Playoff Schedule
Feb. 15: Official playoff brackets are released
Feb. 16: Outbracket games, at higher seed
Feb. 18: Opening round for all classes, at higher seed
Feb. 22: Class B/C Quartefinals, at higher seed
Feb. 23: Class A Quarterfinals, at higher seed
Feb. 24: Class AA Quarterfinals, at higher seed
Feb. 27-March 5: Championship Week at Westchester County Center
For a breakdown of the Section 1 playoff criteria, scroll to the bottom of the page. Any questions, contact Kevin Devaney Jr. via Twitter: @KDJ_N12Varsity or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
NOTE: Bonus points will NOT be awarded until an opponent has CLINCHED a .500 or .750 record.
Below are all of the games yet to be recorded in the Bracketology standings above
REMAINING BONUS POINTS
Below details which teams can still clinch Bonus Points (BPs) for all opponents they've played to date. Teams can earn 1 BP for clinching a .500 record and 2 total BPs for clinching a .750 record. Here is how many Section 1 games each team plays, how many they have remaining and how wins needed to clinch BPs.
To earn entrance into the Section 1 playoffs, every school must accumulate a minimum of 32 points. Points are calcuated - 4 points for every victory (in ALL games, not just Section 1) plus Bonus Points. However, Bonus Points can only be earned against Section 1 opponents and are based on the opposing teams' overall records.
Here are the teams that have qualified in each class so far, as well as how many points are needed for the team that have not yet qualified.
Note: Only games played against Section 1 teams will count towards seeding formula.
- Every victory counts as FOUR points, regardless of class
- Teams receive TWO bonus points for playing an opponent that finishes with a winning percentage of .750 and above by Feb. 15 (regardless if they win or lose). Opponents Section 1 records will be counted.
- Teams receive ONE bonus point for playing an opponent that finishes with a winning percentage between .500-.750 by Feb. 15 (regardless if they win or lose). Opponents Section 1 records will be counted.
- Once all points are tabulated, divide that sum by the total of games played against Section 1 opponents.
- Head to head
- Average bonus points (Bonus Pts/Sec 1 games played)
- Winning percentage
- Common opponent
- Committee decision
Does this not make sense? See a mistake or just have a question about the process? Email Kevin Devaney Jr. at email@example.com. Or ask your questions on Twitter: @KDJ_N12Varsity